Médecins Sans Frontières
The Regional Communications Manager (RCM) position strategically supports Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) as the regional focal point for regional and international media, responsible for generating a better understanding of MSF’s operations and raising awareness about humanitarian crises in the region. S/he provides strategic and technical media and digital support to MSF’s communication resources in the region. S/he is responsible to initiate and manage timely regional digital initiatives in collaboration with the MSF movement’s communication network, drives public events online for the region.
Media management in West and Central Africa:
• Engage and correspond with key media (local, regional and international) based in the region and serve as the MSF media focal point
• Build, maintain and develop a well-functioning, strategic media network with regional and international media and correspondents in Dakar and other West Africa media hubs (Abidjan, Accra, Abuja, etc)
• Strengthen field Communications teams capacity by providing support and/or initiate communications initiatives, online events and digital engagement
• Profile MSF’s work, projects, and concerns on humanitarian crises in the region among regional and international media and audiences
• Advise on media opportunities and effective dissemination strategies to ensure targeted MSF communications that are well covered
• Facilitate journalists’ field visits to MSF projects, pitch key issues/projects to journalists, organize regular briefings and interviews on- or off-the-records
• Facilitate Communications and Media trainings of field communications teams and spokespeople in the region in collaboration with in Vienna Operational Unit (VOCU)
• Provide periodic qualitative reporting about the media landscape and MSF presence in the media
Operational communications support and emergency response:
• Respond to crises and provide technical and strategic advice and fill gaps, upon request, in the absence of a field communications resource
• Provide a technical expertise for requests coming from Communications teams in the region, especially during emergencies, reputational attacks, security incidents etc
• Ensure regular connection and coordination with the international MSF network, for example by participating in the Digital Working Group (DWG) or regular meetings with other African hubs
• Provide support for recruitment, onboarding, training and coaching of field communications officers in the region upon request and in collaboration with the operational communications teams.
Oversight and management of MSF West and Central Africa digital communications:
• Ensure the development and coordination of digital and social media strategies tailored for the region.
• Supervise with the Regional Field Digital Manager (RFDM) the West Africa Twitter account, manage regional engagements via our MSF Africa Instagram page and MSF Global Facebook pages as well as other external and internal online tools such as LinkedIn or SharePoint
• Supervise the development by RFDM of digital tools and dissemination strategies in operational communications activities: geo-targeting posts based on audience, boost budgeting, adaptation and translation of content as needed
• Ensure strengthening of capacity to manage disinformation campaigns and initiate timely monitoring
• Ensure mapping and regularly reports on the digital landscape relevant to the region and the West Africa digital accounts
• Facilitate the identification and recruitment of local cameramen and photographers
Support Communication and engagement efforts in Dakar and the region:
• Provide communications advice on regional issues, relevant for the region
• Flag communications opportunities and risks, including those that require reactive support
• Network with communications officials of UN/other agencies and NGOs based in the regio
• Analyse how organisations communicate on key issues and provide insight into their public positioning on major issues
• Represent MSF in relevant regional platforms and meetings (related to public communication), relaying MSF’s concerns and priorities.
• Identify regional cross-cutting themes and strengthen MSF’s voice in the Dakar organizational environment by organizing public events in Dakar, such as press briefings, conferences, debates and help identify opportunities to initiate such events.
The RCM manages and supervises the Regional Field Digital Manager as a direct report.
The RCM is responsible for the management of an annual regional communications plan and budget and directly manage a regional field digital Manager position.
Place within the organisation/set-up:
The RCM is an intersectional position responsible for facilitating public communication for all MSF sections. S/he reports to the Operational Communications Coordinators (CoCo’s) of the Operational centres through regular reporting and planification. This position is meant to move under the Executive Officer of the Dakar Regional Office as of January 2024, and will keep as technical referent one of the Communications Coordinators acting on behalf of MSF’s Communications Coordinators group.
Education and experiences
- At least five years of previous work experience in communications, journalism or public relations.
- -Bachelor/Master Degree in journalism, communications, humanitarian affairs, political science or related field.
- Previous work experience in media management, content production, and coordinating communication strategies, particularly related to emergencies/crises.
- -Experience working for MSF or other international NGOs in developing countries.
- Genuine interest in, understanding of, and commitment to the humanitarian principles, social mission, operations, and challenges of MSF.
- Prior experience in MSF communications
- Experience working in a strategic communications role in Africa
- Photo, digital, video and multimedia skills.
Fluency (written and spoken) in English and French, fluency in other languages would be an advantage, but is not essential.
Demonstrated management and communication skills
Good representation skills
Spécificités du poste
- Status: 24 months Fixed-term contract (CDD), Level 12- According MSF Senegal Salary grid commensurate with experience , 25 working days per year (paid annual leave)
- Localization: Based in Dakar, Frequent travels to West African countries and Sahel
- Expected starting date: ASAP
Type de contrat
Niveau 12 de la grille de MSF
Cette offre d'emploi est pourvue. Veuillez ne pas envoyer votre candidature sur cette offre.
Vous pouvez voir les offres disponibles en cliquant ici.