Chemonics seeks a systems strengthening director for the anticipated USAID Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activity in Senegal. The purpose of this new activity is to increase sustainable access to improved sanitation and water services while increasing consumer demand The systems strengthening director will deploy a systems approach to develop and lead interventions to strengthen factors (including regulation, service provision, technology, and accountability mechanisms), capacity of actors (including communities, local government, private and public institutions, households, and development agencies), and their relationships to improve the quality and accessibility of WASH services in Senegal. They will work closely with national-level stakeholders and local counterparts to identify, co-develop, and implement sustainable WASH approaches and interventions. This position will be based in Dakar, Senegal, with frequent travel to target activity zones throughout Senegal.
Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting company, operating in over 95 countries. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Serve as lead for technical component leading all WASH systems strengthening, working closely with counterparts from the Government of Senegal, private sector actors, and the Activity’s implementing partners to develop and manage effective and responsive interventions
- Determine technical needs and priorities to support activity implementation, such as:
- Upgrading, rehabilitating, or building low-tech, decentralized wastewater systems and delivery of associated capacity strengthening for system operators
- Water resource interventions that prevent or mitigate flooding, increase water storage, and strengthen early warning systems
- Linking/facilitating spare parts and consumables supply chains
- Management information systems for asset management, water resources data, water resource mapping
- Work across teams to ensure the perspectives and voices of women, youth, and underrepresented or underserved groups are integral to the activity’s implementation
- Advanced degree in international affairs, international development, water management, global public health, or another relevant field
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience implementing WASH programs or strengthening WASH systems, particularly in the following technical areas: water production, transmission, and distribution; utility services strengthening; adaptation for climate resilient infrastructure; sewered sanitation networks; wastewater treatment; sludge management; water treatment systems; operations and maintenance; asset management; and capital investment planning
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English required, additional language skills preferred
How to apply
Please send an email with your updated CV, cover letter, and the contact information of three professional references attached and “Systems Strengthening Director Senegal WASH Activity” in the subject line to Mr. Luca DiDomenico at [email protected] by March 17, 2023. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.